Courtois Hills of the Ozarks

Courtois Hills of the Ozarks
The sub-regions of the Ozarks (from Rafferty, The Ozarks: land and li

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Col. W.T. Leeper

KEEP HIM, PUT HIM THROUGH, AND LEARN HIM TO BE A SOLDIER


One of the most controversial figures intimately involved in the our local area of study was William T. Leeper. In this post I will introduce a portion of the records that I have compiled.

Col. W.T. Leeper

November 1861-August 1862















                                                Camp at Reeves Station           
                                                East Wayne Co Mo
                                                April 5th, 1862

Gen. Jns. M. Scofield

Dear Sir
I am exceedingly anxious to have Capt. Wm. T. Leeper with his co. attached temporarily to my regiment.  A small battery of Enfield Rifles guns has been attached to my Regiment and having been much with Capt. Leeper and highly appreciating as I do himself and his command I should be very glad to have his company as a support to the battery.   Their Enfield Rifles would make them a most efficient support.  If you could spare Capt. L. and his Co I would be much gratified.  If you cannot grant any request I hope you will allow me to commend Capt. L as worthy of your confidence.  I have been much with him and have witnessed his conduct under varied circumstances and know that he is wise in command and brave in danger.
                                                With the highest regard I am
                                                Most Respectfully your
                                                Obt Servent
                                                Conrad Baker
                                                Co K Regt 2nd Cav
                                                Commanding 2nd Brigade










*In April Leeper's company was armed with new Enfield rifles
I quote;  "A small battery of Enfield Rifles guns has been attached to my Regiment and having been much with Capt. Leeper and highly appreciating as I do himself and his command I should be very glad to have his company as a support to the battery." 

Losing those new rifles had to hurt!



*"Leeper's brother" probably referring to George W Leeper.

*James M L Jamison taught the school on Mahan's Creek in Shannon County, MO before the commencement of outright war. 








No comments:

Post a Comment